Search This Blog

Sunday 19 December 2010

Soulcial Consciousness - Get to know: Imani Hekima

Imani Hekima's singles Shame and Robots Rebellion are available to buy on his itunes page.
Lyrically and melodically haunting, I decided I wanted to get to know more about this Soulcial Conscious one.

Imani Hekima. Check his Myspace for tour dates http://www.myspace.com/imanihekima


Tell me all about the current single
I wrote ‘The Robots’ Rebellion’ in 2004 and it appeared as a ‘promo’ on a compilation album in 2007. It was released as a single in December 2010, available on iTunes and Amazon.  The song takes its title from a book by David Icke, published in 1994. The promo video (which you can find on Youtube) pays homage to John Carpenter’s film ‘They Live’.    




What did changing your name mean for you?
Coming from a British/Jamaican background, changing my name was a way of identifying with my African cultural heritage and history.  Six years previously, I’d begun reading up on it.   I was originally Andrew Mitchell and I changed it by deed poll to Imani Hekima in 1994.  Imani means ‘faith’, Hekima means ‘wisdom’ in Swahili.

What is your earliest musical memory?
My earliest musical memory, which is also my earliest memory, was hearing Tamla Motown. I can’t have been much older than one year old because I was in a cot.  That’s probably why I love Motown.

What was the first song you bought?
For my “sins”, the first record I bought was Rat Trap by The Boomtown Rats, Bob Geldof’s band.

Whose concerts have you attended, and which was your first gig you attended?
I’ve seen a variety of people.  The Specials was my first gig, back in 1980.  I saw all the 2 tone bands and British reggae artists such as UB40, Aswad and Steel Pulse.  I’ve seen Public Enemy (back in 1990), The Pharcyde and the great jazz drummer Max Roach.

What instruments do you play?
Piano/keyboards, singing, bass guitar, 6 string guitar and drums (drum kit).

How do you write your songs?
Usually either the music comes first or I’ll get the lyrics.  Occasionally, they’ll both arrive at the same time. The ideas drift in at any time.  I don’t sit down and try to force myself but I do lots of practise and research to get ideas.

Have you ever wanted to give up and how do you overcome that?
Yes, on some occasions.  It happens to most people.  You have to keep going and if you love what you do enough, you will persevere. 

What drives you, and what inspires you?
I’m inspired by my own passion and by the examples of others who also keep going regardless.  I’m inspired by the whole journey, the trials, errors and successes. 

What’s your favourite city/country to play in and why?
I’ve only really played in the UK with my own music, though I’ve gigged in Holland and Spain with covers bands.  Favourite city?  None really – if people are feeling your work, it doesn’t matter where. 

What do you like about being in the studio and what do you enjoy about being on stage?
On stage it’s obviously more immediate and direct communication with the audience.  I also enjoy recording and seeing the music take shape and the general banter when it’s going well.


Do you think politics and music work together well?
Politics and music does go together but there’s an art in getting the balance right.  The music has to be good enough on its own to make someone listen or dance.  It has to be remembered that many people who happen to love political songs may not be attuned to the lyrics.  Saying that, the message alone, no matter how worthy, will not be heard if it isn’t given an effective musical setting.

How important is the visual aspect of your music?
It’s important in some ways.  I’d like to develop that side of things for live performances.  The video for Robots Rebellion obviously had a lot of thought put into its visuals.  It was done by a guy called Ian Geddes, who had the idea of blending footage from the film ‘They Live’ with my song.

You perform interpretations of Bollywood music, how did that come about?
In 2008, I saw a job advert for a pianist to perform Bollywood at an Asian wedding.  A little light went off in my head and I instantly knew I wanted to apply.  This is despite me knowing no Bollywood songs at all at the time.  I’ve since played at Asian weddings all over England, all faith groups.  I played a support slot to Raghav in 2009.  That’s the short of it.  People can visit http://www.myspace.com/bollywoodpiano to find out the full story.

What music do you listen to and when, to relax, in the car etc?
It varies.  At home I listen to all kinds of stuff.  I listen to lots of dub, Miles Davis and just about anything else in between and related.

Do you have an ipod or ipad?
I don’t own one.  My brain is my iPod.  I always have songs going on up there.

Any thoughts on technology and music?
With the exception of a few ‘neo soul/progressive soul’ artists, I think black music over the past 20 years specifically has suffered through not enough instrumentalists.  
However, you can still make great music via computer technology.  In that respect, hip hop (REAL hip hop, not ‘bling pop’) has led the way.   

Have social networking sites helped you?
Myspace and Facebook are good means of showcasing what I do.  There are a lot of people who are against them but I say it’s what you make of them.

What are you working on?
I’m working towards the release of an album in 2011.  Rather than put it out in 2010, I decided to put out two singles this year to test the waters and raise a bit of awareness.  I’m also working on new material intended for the second album.  I’m supported live by Philippe Clegg on bass and my sibling Stuart Mitchell on drums.  All being well, I’ll be recording new stuff with them.

What does the future hold for you?
Hopefully I’ll continue to grow as a musician and reach more people with my work.  

Links to check out Imani Hekima:-

Imani Hekima Facebook Group 

No comments:

Post a Comment